Proverbs 16:9 - "The mind of man plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps."


Thursday, November 5, 2009

To "Hail" With The Redskins

OK, I know I have never actually wrote anything on this blog, but I have to get this off my chest. The Washington Redskins SUCK!!! There, I said it. I have spent what I remember of my life supporting this team. The eighties and early nineties were admittedly good, but beyond that,...... Well ,let's just say it has not been a life enriching experience. I have elevated cursing at the TV to an art form. I think along the way I actually invented a few words of my own. Needless to say, Sunday afternoons are not a happy time in the Mattia household. Which brings me to the reason for this post. I am officially announcing that I am no longer rooting for the Redskins! Let me clarify. I will resume full "root" status when one of two things happen. 1. The current owner of the Washington Redskins, Daniel Snyder, sells the team. I know. Not likely to happen. Dan Dan the munchkin man is not going to sell his little profit making machine. Which leads me to #2. Danielson hires a "football guy" as GM of the team. A Bill Parsells type. A no nonsense "football guy" who will tell Dan "Leave me your checkbook and then leave me alone." Let him clean house, (including Vinny Cerrato, Dan's little whipping boy) utilize the draft properly, and rebuild the team from the ground up. Now, this will only work if Dan leaves the football decisions to the football people. I think this has been a BIG problem for years. Dan's philosophy has been to sign the big name "superstars" (I.E. Bruce Smith, Dieon Sanders, etc.) with the thought that they would generate big revenue in ticket sales and merchandise. Well, we all know how well that plan has worked. Dan, it's time to run this organization like an NFL team and not your high stakes fantasy team. The Redskins fan base are a smart bunch. They will be patient while the rebuilding is taking place, as long as they know that you're serious about rebuilding. Not just the typical revolving door on the Head Coach's office. That will be "hope and change" in Washington we can really believe in. So, to summarize. From this day forward, until my demands are met, I will be a Philadelphia Eagles fan! I know this will make absolutely no difference to Mr Snyder, but I had to take a stand and do something. Even if all it does is makes me feel better. I might even start enjoying Sundays again.

No comments: